Renowned for offering some of the best skiing and snowboarding terrain in the world, Aspen Snowmass also has plenty of activities for visitors to enjoy after a day on the slopes.
With myriad cultural experiences, action packed adventures and world-class après ski bars, discover eight of the best non-ski activities for those who want to experience more than the mountains in this winter wonderland.
- Wine tasting at The Little Nell: Oenophiles can enjoy a private wine tasting at The Little Nell, hosted in the hotel’s intimate wine cellar home to an impressive 20,000+bottle selection. Visitors can sip some of the world’s most sought after wines pulled straight off the shelves, accompanied by a selection of house-cured meats and local cheeses. Each person will have a dedicated sommelier who will conduct a consultation prior to the tasting and will host the evening, ensuring an unforgettable experience.
- Spa at Viceroy Snowmass: The Spa at Viceroy Snowmass offers one of the best and most relaxing apres ski experiences. Guests can select from a variety of signature rituals inspired by ancient Ute, Nordic and Asian ceremonies. They can reground with the Ute Sun Dance Ritual—a ceremony rooted in the idea of tagu-wini, which embodies the ideas of spiritual rejuvenation. Complete with hot salt soaks, clay wraps and oil treatments, the experience rejuvenates the body and the mind.
- Après ski: Aspen Snowmass is recognised as having one of the best après ski scenes in North America. Whether visitors are looking for a cosy corner to sample a cocktail, a buzzing bar or an atmosphere bumping with music, there are plenty of spots that won’t disappoint. At Snowmass, Lynn Britt Cabin is a quaint rustic cabin set in the perfect landscape for a light lunch. At Aspen Mountain, Sundeck is casual yet classic and is Aspen’s oldest après spot that opened in 1946. At Aspen Highlands, Cloud Nine Alpine Bistro provides a stunning backdrop of the iconic snow-covered Maroon Bells and is complemented with champagne parties and an energetic crowd. Finally, at Buttermilk, Cliffhouse is a perfect spot to enjoy a pint overlooking the beautiful scenery.
Arts & Culture
- Wheeler Opera House: An impressive architectural landmark of Aspen built in the 1890s by Willoughby J. Edbrooke, Wheeler Opera House has long been Aspen’s favourite year-round performance venue. Throughout the year, it hosts concerts, stand-up comedy, film festivals and other events. In recent years, the Wheeler has been a leader in producing exceptional festivals in Aspen (Aspen Laugh Festival, Aspen Mountain Film Festival, and Shining Mountains Film Festival), celebrating the comedy arts, global issues and the craft of songwriting.
- Aspen Art Museum: Aspen Art Museum exhibits some of the newest and most important artworks and it is a must for any art lover visiting Aspen. The museum features innovative and timely exhibitions, educational programmes, immersive activities and community events that actively engage audiences in thought-provoking experiences of art, culture and society. The museum also offers artist talks, screenings and performances. Admission toAspen Art Museum is free.
Action & Adventure
- Rock climbing: Snowmass is home to a rock climbing wall for all seasons at Limelight Hotel Snowmass. The tallest indoor climbing wall in Colorado, visitors can climb the 54-foot-tall feature which includes three lanes for simultaneous climbing. For each 30-minute session, climbing shoes and harness, as well as guided supervision, are included.
- Adventures at Elk Camp: Elk Camp on Snowmass, is a must-visit adventure centre, with tubing, the Breathtaker Alpine Coaster and winter celebrations during Ullr Nights. Hosted in honour of the Norse God of Snow, Elk Camp is transformed into a snowglobe-like wonderland during Ullr Nights with a pass (£52) including a gondola ride to Elk Camp, bonfire (s’mores & hot chocolate available for purchase), unlimited access to tubing, unlimited access to the Breathtaker Alpine Coaster, fire dancers show, kids snow bikes and kids tubing.
- Ice skating: In the winter, the centrepiece of the Snowmass Base Village plaza is an outdoor ice rink complete with free skate rentals. Visitors can join in the fun in front of Limelight Hotel Snowmass and after an ice-skating session reward themselves with an après snack, drink or dinner at the Limelight Lounge.