For 120 years, the Ski Club has been bringing people together through a shared passion…
Whistler’s full summer program launches May 21, with hiking, biking and sightseeing open to a global audience as travel returns to the world stage. Its iconic Bike Park is set to open May 13, but will be conditions dependent.
It’s been two years since mountain bike enthusiasts could experience the Peak Zone’s Top of the World bike trail to shred the 1500-metre descent to the valley below against the breathtaking backdrop of the snowcapped Coast Mountains. Back in daily rotation once snowmelts, the Peak Zone will return to its full glory with the trail and the Cloudraker Skybridge open.
The 130-metre alpine suspension bridge leads to the Raven’s Eye lookout on Westridge and has developed a worldwide reputation in a short lifespan. “We’re very thankful we can bring Whistler Blackcomb’s summer experience back to its full glory. The mountain bike community travels from all over the world to make the drop into Top of the World, and the Cloudraker Skybridge is a huge attraction for guests—including many who are new to the alpine environment,” said Geoff Buchheister, Whistler Blackcomb COO. “Having missed two summers of full operations, it feels great to open our beautiful mountains, and this unique environment, once more.”
This summer season will also include a major construction project to upgrade the Creekside Gondola and the Big Red Express Chairlift, both set for completion before Winter ’23. The project is part of the $320M Epic Lift Upgrade capital investment by Vail Resorts and will allow for exponential growth of the Creek Zone trail network in years to come. Stay tuned to Whistler Blackcomb’s social channels, as they will highlight all the big construction moments, listing daily trail closures and re-routes as needed for construction.
The mountains are always a hot stop for a cool summer escape, and with all of the signature Coast Mountain experiences back, this is sure to be a summer to remember. Be sure to take in our giant snow walls, alpine meadow wildflowers, hike the Ascent Trails in our old growth forest, and more. Whistler Mountain is once again on seasonal extended hours with The Feast Barbeque taking over the Roundhouse Lodge every Friday, Saturday and Sunday and riding to 8pm in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park.
Highlights for Summer ‘22 include:
- The Cloudraker Skybridge and Raven’s Eye lookout re-opening with new Cloudraker Interpretive Loop signage featuring:
- Coast Salish Art by Squamish Nation artist James Harry
- Stories from the Skwxwu?7mesh Nation and Líl?wat Nation, on whose unceded territory the mountains sit
- Explanations of the mountain’s man-made engineering feats and natural magic with detailed descriptions of the flora, fauna and alpine landscape viewpoints
- Crankworx Mountain Bike Festival returns Aug. 5-14, including the Enduro World Series and legendary Red Bull Joyride
- Increased capacity in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park with earlier uploads in the Garbanzo Zone and more cabins dedicated to bike on the Whistler Village Gondola
- 50+ km of alpine hiking, beginning as snowmelt permits
- The Roundhouse Umbrella Bar, welcoming guests to raise a glass above the clouds (weekends through mid-June and then open daily)
How to join us on the mountain:
- All Winter Season Passes sold for the ’22-’23 offer unlimited access to sightseeing and hiking on both Whistler and Blackcomb mountains this summer
- Whistler Mountain Bike Park passes are now on sale starting with 5-day adult passes at $345
- Book into GT Women’s Night or Men’s Night, a Private Lesson or Intro to Bike Park package (with lesson, rentals and lift access for under $200)
- Jump in on the Phat Wednesday presented by Kokanee race series or book a DFX Club Program for kids
Photo: The Cloudraker Skybridge sits at the Peak of Whistler Mountain, accessible via a 10 minute walk on a gravel trail from the Roundhouse Lodge on Whistler Mountain. Credit: John Entwistle/Whistler Blackcomb
#WhistlerBlackcomb #Summer #MountainBiking #TopOfTheWorld #CloudrakerSkybridge