For 120 years, the Ski Club has been bringing people together through a shared passion…
The choice of travel options by rail and air to Tirol will once again be significantly expanded in the 2022/23 winter season.
WESTbahn rail is servicing Tirol for the first time, more precisely Innsbruck. German rail company, Deutsche Bahn, is launching a new year-round direct connection from Frankfurt to Innsbruck and extending the “Ski Express Tirol” ICE (inter-city) connection from Hamburg to St. Anton am Arlberg. A new ski train, the “TUI Ski Express,” will shuttle from Amsterdam in the Netherlands to Tirol this winter and the Swedish ski express and night train, “Snalltaghet,” from Malmö with stops in Copenhagen and Hamburg will be extended to Innsbruck.
As of December, there are new direct flight connections from Paris to Innsbruck with Air France. This route will be supplemented by a weekly charter flight from the Tirolean travel specialist, Travel Europe. The direct Frankfurt – Innsbruck connection operated by Air Dolomiti/Lufthansa is to be continued and even expanded in winter. The flight connection to Bristol in England is being supplemented by an additional service from Jet2.com, while the scheduled flight to Stockholm resumes for the first time since the pandemic.
Brussels will again be served by Transavia this winter, and a Berlin – Innsbruck connection with Austrian Airlines is also in the pipeline.
Make way for more sustainable winter holiday journeys
Travel comfortably and environmentally friendly to Tirol by rail. Tirol is easily accessible from Austria, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Italy and Scandinavia. Find out which new and existing train connections take you directly to Tirol from Europe in winter 2022/23 here:
FROM GERMANY TO TIROL:
- ICE (inter-city express) from Frankfurt via Mannheim, Stuttgart, Ulm and Augsburg to Tirol with stops in Kufstein, Wörgl, Jenbach and Innsbruck terminus on Fridays and Saturdays and return from Tirol on Saturdays and Sundays. The direct connection will be available from 16th December 2022 and is a year-round service.
- ICE “SKI EXPRESS TIROL” (inter-city express) Hamburg via Hanover, Würzburg, Munich, to Tirol with stops in Kufstein, Wörgl, Jenbach, Innsbruck, Ötztal Station, Imst-Pitztal, Landeck-Zams and onwards to its final stop in St. Anton am Arlberg from 17th December 2022 to 25th March 2023.
Numerous swift and easy connections from all over Germany via the ICE (inter-city express) hub in Munich with German rail, the Deutsche Bahn:
- 7x daily from Munich to Tirol with Eurocity
- 1x daily Intercity direct connection from Cologne via Stuttgart to Tirol
- 1x daily Railjet direct connection from Frankfurt to Tirol via Darmstadt, Heidel-berg/Stuttgart/Ulm/Ravensburg/Friedrichshafen/Lindau/Bregenz/Feldkirch/Bludenz to Landeck-Zams, Imst-Pitztal, Innsbruck, Jenbach, Wörgl (on the Arlberg in Langen am Arlberg)
- 1x daily ÖBB Nightjet service from Hamburg via Hanover, Göttingen, Würzburg, Nuremberg, Munich and Rosenheim to Kufstein, Wörgl, Jenbach and Innsbruck
Additional tourist, “seasonal” services in winter 2022/23 from Germany to Tirol with Deutsche Bahn:
- ICE inter-city express from Hamburg and Hanover to Seefeld and Innsbruck and return on Saturdays. Available from 17th December 2022 to 25th March 2023.
- ICE inter-city express on Fridays from Hamburg-Hanover-Kassel-Würzburg-Munich to Seefeld/Innsbruck. Available from 16th December 2022 to 24th March 2023.
- ICE inter-city express on Sundays from Innsbruck via Seefeld in Tirol to Munich/Nuremberg/Würzburg/Kassel/Hanover/Hamburg: Available from 11th December 2022 to 26th March 2023.
- “Großglockner” ICEinter-city express from Hamburg to the Kitzbühel Alps on weekends (FRI to Tirol and return on SUN): Available from 16th December 2022 to 26th March 2023
- additional Munich-Kitzbühel Alps-Munich ICE inter-city express connection on Saturdays
- RJ “Tirol” service from Munich to the Arlberg on Saturdays: available from 31st December 2022 to 15th April 2023.
- ICE morning connection Munich-Kufstein-Wörgl-Jenbach-Innsbruck-Ötztal-Imst/Pitztal-Landeck/Zams-St.Anton am Arlberg and evening return on Saturdays from 17th December 2022 to 25th March 2023
FROM AUSTRIA TO TIROL:
New connections with WESTbahn rail service
- From 11th December 2022, WESTbahn will offer three direct connections per day from Vienna to Innsbruck and return. In addition to the stops between Vienna and Salzburg, there will also be stops in Kufstein and Wörgl on the way to the Ti-rolean capital. Departures from Vienna Westbahnhof Station are at 7:08 (arrive Innsbruck 11:29), 11:08 (arrive 15:29) and 17:08 (arrive 21:29). Trains for the re-turn journey depart Innsbruck at 6:31 (arrive Vienna Westbahnhof 10:52), 12:31 (arrive 16:52) and 16:31 (arrive 20:52). Trains from Salzburg operate non-stop via the German Corner to Kufstein.
ÖBB Austrian Rail service direct to Tirol with stops in Kufstein, Wörgl, Jenbach, Innsbruck, Ötztal Station, Imst-Pitztal, Landeck-Zams and St. Anton am Arlberg
- 16x daily at hourly intervals from Vienna to Tirol with the Railjet Xpress service
- 2 x daily from Graz to Tirol with Eurocity/Intercity
- Weekend connections: Railjet DIREKTZUG (direct service) from Vienna to the Kitzbühel Alps. Available from 23rd December 2022 to 10th April 2023
FROM THE NETHERLANDS TO TIROL:
New connection with TUI Ski Express service
- Night train from Amsterdam via Utrecht to Tirol on Fridays and return on Saturdays by the eponymous tour operator. The train splits in Wörgl, with one half travelling to Innsbruck, and the other via Brixental, Kitzbühel and St. Johann in Tirol to Zell am See.
The ÖBB Nightjet service operates daily from Amsterdam Centraal via Utrecht, Arnhem and in Germany Bonn, Koblenz, Main, Frankfurt Airport and South, Würzburg, Nuremberg, Augsburg, Munich, Rosenheim to Tirol. Stops in Tirol are Innsbruck, Jenbach, Wörgl and Kufstein.
FROM SWITZERLAND TO TIROL:
- 1x daily from Zurich to Tirol with the “Transalpin” Eurocity service with panorama coaches (1st class) all year round
- 6x daily Railjet Zurich-Vienna through Tirol with stops in Innsbruck and regional stations.
FROM ITALY TO TIROL:
- 5x daily direct from Verona to Tirol with Eurocity
- 1x daily Railjet service from Bolzano to Tirol (and on to Vienna)
- 3x daily direct from Bologna to Tirol (Mon-Fri) and 2x daily (Sat-Sun)
- 1x daily from Venice to Tirol (Mon-Fri) and 2x daily (Sat-Sun)
FROM SCANDINAVIA TO TIROL:
The Swedish winter ski express and night train, Snalltaghet, returns to Tirol this winter and the route now extends to Innsbruck. Departing from Malmö via Copenhagen and Hamburg, the train travels via Salzburg and Zell am See to St. Johann in Tirol, Kitzbühel, Wörgl, Jenbach and Innsbruck, with excellent bus connections to Zillertal, Sölden, Ischgl and St. Anton am Arlberg on Fridays and back on Saturdays. Available from 22nd December 2022 to 11th March 2023.
Comfortable onward journey with the Tirol station shuttle service
We recommend Four Seasons Travel station shuttle service for a comfortable onward journey to the region and your accommodation. For more information, please visit www.bahnhofshuttle.tirol
Flights to Tirol via Innsbruck Airport
Innsbruck Airport is optimally connected to the world flight network with numerous scheduled flight destinations in Austria (Vienna), Germany (Frankfurt, Hamburg), Great Britain (London [LHR, LGW, LTN, STN], Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh), the Netherlands (Amsterdam, Rotterdam-Den Haag, Eindhoven), Belgium (Brussels, Antwerp) and Scandinavia. Thanks to its central location and immediate proximity to the city centre, short transfer times to the popular Tirolean destinations are possible. Flight news to and from Innsbruck below:
New: Frankfurt with Air Dolomiti/Lufthansa
The direct flight connection from Innsbruck to Frankfurt, one of the largest international hubs, was resumed with three daily connections from 2nd May 2022 after a pandemic-related break lasting several months. Flights are operated by Air Dolomiti, a 100% subsidiary of Deutsche Lufthansa AG as a Lufthansa and Star Alliance code share, using Embraer 195 aircraft with around 120 seats. The flight timetable will be increased to four daily services in winter. The return of the connection from Innsbruck to the Frankfurt hub makes it even easier to travel from anywhere in the world to and from Innsbruck. For bookings and prices, please visit www.airdolomiti.eu, www.lufthansa.com
New: Paris with Air France and additional charter flight service
Innsbruck and Tirol have been directly connected to the French capital for some time now. The direct flight connection from Innsbruck to Paris CDG will commence on 10th December 2022 and operate twice weekly on Saturdays and Sundays until 5th March 2023. The INN-CDG service will be operated by Air France and feature an Embraer E90 aircraft, which has a 100-seat capacity, including 12 seats in Business Class and 88 seats in Economy Class. The connection to Paris CDG also offers optimal connecting flights to the USA, Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paolo, Santiago de Chile, China and other popular French destinations such as Toulouse, Bordeaux and Montpellier. Air France customers will soon be able to combine these new flights operated by Air France with those already operated by Transavia via Amsterdam (using the KL code). For bookings and prices, please visit www.airfrance.com
Furthermore, the Tirolean travel specialist and incoming agency, Travel Europe, is offering a weekly ski charter from Paris to Innsbruck. This connection will operate from 16th December 2022 to 31st March 2023 and offers French winter sports enthusiasts and connoisseurs the opportunity to access Tirol quickly and easily direct from Paris.
New: Berlin with Austrian Airlines
Austrian Airlines is planning new direct weekly flights every Saturday from Berlin Brandenburg Airport to Innsbruck. These flights are expected to operate from 28th January to 25th February 2023. Bookings and information (anticipated from October 2022) at www.austrian.com.
New: Bristol with Jet2.com
From 24 December 2022, the English low-cost carrier Jet2 will connect the English city of Bristol with Innsbruck for the first time in winter. The direct and once weekly connection will operate on Saturdays until 15th April 2023. Bookings and information at www.jet2.com.
Dutch airline Transavia will connect the Belgian capital Brussels with Innsbruck again from 22nd December 2022 to 12th April 2023. Flights will operate on Thursdays and Sundays and can be booked on www.transavia.com.
Scandinavian airline SAS will resume scheduled winter flights between Stockholm and Innsbruck from 29th January to 24th March 2023. The flight will operate on Sundays and can be booked on www.flysas.com.
For further scheduled and charter flights to/from Innsbruck, please visit www.innsbruck-airport.com.
Comfortable onward travel with Transfer.tirol
We recommend Four Seasons Travel service for a comfortable onward journey to the region and your accommodation. For more information, please visit www.tirol-taxi.at
Details subject to change.
Please visit www.welcome.tirol for the latest and most useful travel information to and around Tirol concerning Covid-19.
Header image: The possibilities for travelling to Tirol in winter by public transport are being significantly expanded. Credit: Tirol Werbung, Johann Kapferer